Convenient bikes at an affordable cost.
Green Mountain Transit response to Coronavirus COVID-19
GMT will continue to operate bus service fare free through July 2020 with some reduced service. You can read the entirety of their latest update here. GMT would like to remind passengers to stay home if possible to allow essential travel for passengers who need it. If you are continuing to use transit, we encourage you to sign up for service alters directly with GMT: https://bit.ly/2TXU4uR and follow GMTs recommended protocol for entering and existing the bus.
Riding the bus is a cost-effective and convenient way to get to work and around town. It eases the stress, and is a safe, reliable alternative to driving. You can catch up on reading, rest or work while on the bus, not to mention the environmental impact made by taking one more car off the road. Even just one day a week can make a difference!
Green Mountain Transit (GMT) provides a network of bus routes throughout many cities and towns in Chittenden County with regional connections to Washington, Addison, Franklin, and Lamoille Counties.
Find your bus in real-time! Download the Transit App
Benefits of taking the bus
- saves money
- saves time
- protects the environment
- promotes a healthy lifestyle
- reduces traffic congestion
- strengthens communities and quality of life
Resources for riding the bus
Ask your employer about discounts on transit passes or bus programs. CATMA Members should check out Bus Discounts and Unlimited Access programs in our Commuter Solutions section.
Bikes on the bus
All GMT buses are equipped with easy to use bike racks that hold two bikes. Learn more and a step by step guide to getting your bike on the bus.
Plan your commute
CATMA provides commuters with education and resources to support bus travelers. Google Transit is also a great tool to plan your bus commute.
Located in Burlington and Winooski, Go! Stations, bring together transit, carsharing and secure, keyless bike parking in one covenient location. Make your trips by bus, bike, foot and carshare even easier, check out a Go! Station near you!
Quick Tips on Riding the Bus
Here are some tips from to start your bus ride and learn more tips at GMT’s “How To Ride”:
- Download Transit App, a real-time bus locator and trip planning tool. Get upcoming departure times for nearby lines and plan your trip across multiple routes.
- Check destination marquee on bus before getting on the bus and arrive a little early if you can
- Be sure the driver can see you by standing safely and visibly at the stop
- Have your fare ready to insert or your pass ready to swipe or buy your pass on your smartphone with Token Transit App.
- Request your stop at block before your destination
- Ask bus driver for a transfer if you are making a connection to another bus route